What's the deal with the Townsends Solitaires?

  • dpopham
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2010
      After finding one on the ER CBC and hearing that a few others were seen, now I have 2 and likely 4 running around my backyard in Eaglewood. They are either 2 magicians or there are 4 of them.
      Doug
    • liza-s
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
        Bumping this.

        Any thoughts from the more experienced birders here? Here is my summary of Townsend's Solitaires that have been posted here recently.
        3 in Chugiak
        3+ in Eagle River
        2+ in Anchorage
        1 in Homer

        This seems like an awful lot for a bird listed as casual on the 1993 Birds of Anchorage. Have there been previous years with such numbers? Or is this a bird with an increasing winter presence here?

        Liza

        --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "dpopham" <dpopham@...> wrote:

        > After finding one on the ER CBC and hearing that a few others were seen, now I have 2 and likely 4 running around my backyard in Eaglewood. They are either 2 magicians or there are 4 of them.
        > Doug

      • aaron_lang8
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2011
          Make that two Solitaires for Homer. Also, Soldotna tallied a Solitaire on their CBC, a first for the count, and Rich found the first record for Kodiak Island this fall/winter.

          There are more birders around every year, more fruit trees like mt. ash around, and better communication between birders across the state. But I would also agree that this seems be an especially good winter for Townsend's Solitaire sightings in southcoastal Alaska.

          The same would seem to apply to White-throated Sparrows this year.

          Aaron Lang
          Homer