shrike prey

  • aaron_lang8
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Shrikes are definitely oportunistic hunters, taking whatever they can
      manage, mammals and birds included. A few years back I was watching a
      Northern Shrike on the Copper River Delta in late winter, my notes
      tell me it was March 25th. While I was watching it the shrike coughed
      up two small pellets. After it flew off I collected the pellets; the
      only thing that I could identify for sure in the pellets was what
      appeared to be a carapace from a small beetle. Apparently a few
      insects are available in the winter, at least in balmy coastal locales.

      Aaron Lang