Re: [AK Birding] Purple Finch, OC and WC Sparrows

  • davidsonne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
      I think N. Shrike eats small mammals and small birds.
      Dave S.

    • aaron_lang8
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Shrikes are definitely oportunistic hunters, taking whatever they can
        manage, mammals and birds included. A few years back I was watching a
        Northern Shrike on the Copper River Delta in late winter, my notes
        tell me it was March 25th. While I was watching it the shrike coughed
        up two small pellets. After it flew off I collected the pellets; the
        only thing that I could identify for sure in the pellets was what
        appeared to be a carapace from a small beetle. Apparently a few
        insects are available in the winter, at least in balmy coastal locales.

        Aaron Lang