The McKay's are restless

  • Aaron Lang
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      After 9 days at sea in the Bering Sea on a research vessel, we finally had
      our first passerines approach the ship today (9/30). Under mostly sunny
      skies, with winds 15-20 knots out of the northwest, and while we were 20
      miles southeast of St. Matthew Island a flock of 25 MCKAY'S BUNTINGS
      approached the ship from the northwest, did two laps around the ship, and
      flew off to the southeast. A few hours later we were only 5 miles further to
      the southeast when another group of 4 MCKAY'S BUNTINGS came again from the
      northwest (the direction of St. Matthew) did a lap around the ship and flew
      off to the southeast.

      Given the winds this week it seems like a great time for buntings to head to
      the Y-K Delta.

      Aaron Lang
      Homer, AK