Audubon and Related Events

  • w
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      There are a bazillion events happening in the next few weeks and we'd like to keep you informed. An informed Audubon Society is a free Audubon Society!

      THIS SATURDAY, OCT. 2: FALL FREEZE UP FIELD TRIP
      Join Anchorage Audubon Field Trip Leaders Chris Maack and Sirena Brownlee as they take you on a tour of local hotspots around Anchorage for late-lingering waterbirds, gulls and songbirds. You never know what might still be lingering around the open water bodies. Meet at Coffee Land (4505 Spenard Road) at 10 am for carpooling to sites. For more information, call Chris at 278-4265 or Sirena at 929-8051.

      MONDAY, OCT 18: The documentary film, "Ghost Bird" will be shown for one night only at the Bear Tooth. This film "explores the remarkable (possible) rediscovery of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker." Contact the Bear Tooth Theaterpub for details.

      WEDNESDAY, OCT 20: Audubon Alaska is hosting a great event at the Anchorage Museum. Photographer Amy Gulick will be giving a presentation about her book about the Tongass "Salmon in the Trees." Audubon Alaska's John Schoen, as one of the authors, will be speaking as well. Full info is at http://ak.audubon.org/events/2026

      THURSDAY, OCT 21: Anchorage Audubon's monthly meeting features Pat Pourchot with a great presentation for anyone planning a birding trip: "How to plan and up your chances of bagging that rare bird by at least 5%!"
      Pat says "When you've gotten those first 650 ABA birds, or those first 225 Alaskan birds, you're not going to get many more birds looking out your front porch, waiting for something to come across your local hotline, or just happening to see something on your family vacation. You got to do some work."
      Pat Pourchot, who exceeds these numbers in ABA and Alaska, will share some of the sources and resources he uses to better know where those sought-after birds are, or at least could be.

      NOVEMBER 16-18: THE ALASKA BIRD CONFERENCE. This biennial three-day event is the biggest scientific avian conference in Alaska, and because the host city rotates, it won't be held in Anchorage again until 2014.
      70 papers and 27 posters have been accepted for the Conference. Full information is being updated regularly at http://ak.audubon.org/events/1432
      Special rates are available for one-day passes as well as for single-session passes.

      And finally, thanks to The Greatland Trust, The Mayor, and everyone whose input turned the Campbell Creek Estuary into public Municipality land!! It took a huge amount of work, but we've all got a fabulous new tract of green space in our town!!

      W. Keys
      Commander In Chief
      Anchorage Audubon Society