Denali Hwy, 10-11 July 10

  • trapperdan1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2010
      We birded from Cantwell to Paxson with numerous stops along the way.
      Birds of note are:

      Arctic Warblers-about a dozen
      Willow Ptarmigans-5 adults and few chicks
      Tree Sparrows- about a dozen
      American Pipits-dozens on high slopes
      Osprey-being chased by gulls
      SemiPalmated Plover- a dozen
      Ruby-Crown Kinglets- 4
      Northern-Water Thrushes- 2
      Blackpoll Warblers- dozens
      Rusty Blackbirds- 4
      Bonaparte's Gulls- 2
      Merlin- 1
      Golden Eagles- 2
      Long-tailed Jaeger- 1
      American Golden-Plovers- 2
      Longtailed Duck with 5 chicks
      Lapland Longspurs- dozen
      Says Phoebes- 2
      Tundra Swans- 2

      The Phoebes are betwixt Clearwater Creek Bridge and Maclaren River Lodge. Its a old building site owned in the past by Jim Moore. The birds were Hawking from the brush tops halfway down the driveway to the building site. Gps N63'03.161', W146'45.459

      Other notables, Caribou, Moose calves, and Porcupines.

      Great trip with a great birder Erik Hendrickson, Denali Park.

      Dan Crowson
      Wasilla,Ak