homer birding

  • paulncess
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      Thanks to the pointers so generously provided in response to our
      inquiry on this site. Quite a bit of rain and our scope and
      binoculars are of the 'not waterproof' variety.

      Anyway, we saw 33 species but missed the Harris' Sparrow although it
      was still being seen at least as late as mid week. Also missed
      murres, White Throated Sparrow, YB Loon, E Wigeon.

      Best birds were the beautiful Stellers Eiders (lifers for both of us)
      and Gray-Crowned Rosy Finches.
      Good birds for us;
      Red-Breasted and Common Mergansers
      Huge groups of Rock Sandpipers (800 plus)
      Harlequin
      Long-Tailed Ducks
      Marbled Murrelet
      Common and Pacific Loon
      Sharpshinned Hawk
      BL Kittiwake
      Pelagic Cormorant
      3 Scoter species
      all other waterfowl that isn't in the Mat-su in winter

      What struck us was all the life in Homer mid winter: 100s of sea
      otters (even hauled out on a gravel bar!), seals, and birds all over.
      In hindsight we needed way more time to properly bird and allow for
      bad weather days. We recommend at minimum 3 full days to have time
      for visiting private feeders, birding upland meadows/forests as well.

      The Islands and Oceans Visitor Center just before reaching spit is
      excellent and also has a board of recent bird sightings posted.

      We look forward to a report from Luke or Nick who found delectables
      such as white-throated sparrow and Dunlin. For sure they will have
      more good finds to report.

      Cecily Fritz
      Palmer