FeederWatch

  • George Matz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 10:56 AM
      Data entered for Count Site: Fritz Creek

      Here are the results from my most recent FeederWatch at Fritz Creek, which is out East End Road from Homer.

      George Matz

      Weather and Effort: March 29, 2010
      When did you watch your feeders?
      Day 1: morning
      Day 2: morning afternoon
      Estimated cumulative time: 1 to 4 hours
      Daylight temperature: -9 to 0° C (15 to 32° F) low
      1 to 10° C (33 to 50° F) high
      Daylight precipitation: Rain/Snow 3 to 6 hours
      Total depth of ice/snow cover: Over 15 cm (over 6")

      Checklist for FeederWatch Alaska Birds
      Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 6
      Boreal Chickadee 2
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
      Pine Siskin 9

    • George Matz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2011
        On my FeederWatch this weekend I had my first Dark-eyed Junco for the year. Also had 3 Red-breasted Nuthatch, 4 Black-capped Chickadee, 1 Boreal Chickadee, 2 Pine Grosbeak, 15 Pine Siskin, and one set of Black-billed Magpie tracks in the fresh snow. Also, we are at the high end of the snowshoe hare cycle here on the Kenai and they are enjoying all the seed that the birds spill from the feeders on the deck.

        George

      • George Matz
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2011
          Here is my FeederWatch data for the past two days. Observations were at Fritz Creek, about 8.5 miles east of Homer.

          I have a pair of Downy Woodpeckers visiting my feeder for the past several days. They are feeding on sunflower seeds. Since I live in a log cabin, I don't encourage woodpeckers with suet feeders. But these two don't seem to be foraging/pecking on the pecking on the logs so I won't chase them away.

          Also had a Brown Creeper for the first time. In fact, got some nice shots that I will post later.

          As usual, I had Black-capped Chickadees (4), Boreal Chickadee (1), Red-breasted Nuthatch (3 all with different shades on red on the breast), Pine Grosbeak (3), and Pine Siskin (4). For some reason, my feeder doesn't attract large flocks of grosbeaks or siskin's, like other feeders in the area. One difference between my lot and the others is that it is more heavily forested, but I think that would be a plus.

          George