Day 3: Seward CBC Count Week

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2009
      December 18, 2009

      Sunrise 9:59 am, sunset 3:49 pm, length of day 5 hours, 50 minutes; tomorrow will be 0 minutes and 25 seconds shorter.

      Weather: Brrrrr! Clear and sunny (for a short time) with temps in the single digits and a brisk north wind taking the wind chill down to minus 6ยบ; steam billowing down the bay. Finger new moon, (no vampires); Jupiter visible at dusk in the west.

      Despite cold toes, fingers, and cheeks, it was another great day for Count Week. The SANDERLING was refound at Lowell Point beach, still just one, probably wondering what happened to everyone else.

      Just after the sun plunged the town into shadow around 2 pm, a flock of birds flew overhead. I watched them land at the tops of some cottonwoods a few blocks away and drove over to check them out. It was a bonanza of birds, feasting on Mayday and Mt Ash berries at Second and Madison. I didn't get an exact count, but would estimate at least 15 each of ROBINS, BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, and PINE GROSBEAKS, with a few STELLER'S JAYS mixed in. So nice to hear the "chirring" of the waxwings again.

      Duane reported 168 PIGEONS minus one. A RAVEN decided to supplement the scattered birdseed and enjoy a little fresh pigeon for a change. About 15-20 others gathered `round the feast. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often with this artificial concentration of pigeons.

      Seward Christmas Bird Count starts tomorrow, where every bird counts. Listen for owls!

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Sporadic Bird Report reporter
      Seward, Alaska