Adak_Great Grey Shrike!!!

  • Isaac Helmericks
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      After two days of West winds exceeding 70 mph and a huge system moving through
      the Aleutians I knew there was a good chance of some good birds today. Although
      a good bird in my mind was a Smew or some other waterfowl. I wasn't expecting a
      Shrike! I was able to obtain some marginal pictures of the Great Grey at the
      mouth of Sweeper Creek. It appears to be an immature. I would have possibly
      overlooked the bird but I noticed a Gray Crowned Rosy Finch hovering about 15
      feet above where the Shrike was perched. It was not the best birding weather
      and was still gusting to 45mph and I lost the bird right after it flew.

      I am still trying to decide on a date for my Christmas bird count. Anyone want
      to join me? (-:

      Isaac

      Isaac J Helmericks

      Adak, Alaska