An Alaskan Birder in Alabama

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2005
      I'm always humbled by the generosity displayed by fellow birders
      around the world. In preparation for a recent trip to Alabama (my
      first time there), I posted on another yahoo group for the local
      Mobile Bay audubon chapter. Well, no more than a day later I get an
      email from one of the members offering to take the day off to drive
      me around the area and show me their birding hot spots. Obviously, I
      take them up on the offer and end up spending a glorious day in the
      sun driving around coastal Alabama. My hosts were much more
      interested in introducing me to the world of gulf coast birding and
      pumping up my life list than setting any records, but we decided to
      play by the Big Day rules and see what happened.

      When all was said and done we tallied up our list, having identified
      69 species in ten hours. Of those, 27 were lifers for me. The only
      bird I was hoping to see that failed to turn up was a Black Skimmer.
      However, the highlights were many, including:

      Reddish Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Little Blue Heron
      Tricolored Heron
      Clapper Rail
      White Ibis
      Royal Tern
      Caspian Tern
      Forster's Tern
      Common Moorhen

      Just to name a few. The Reddish Egret and Little Blue Herons we saw
      were particularly noteworthy, and quite a site to see!

      It was such a treat to "discover" all of the secret hot spots known
      only to the locals. The hospitality my hosts showed just made my
      trip that much more enjoyable, and I definitely intend to return the
      favor to other birders whenever possible.

      As birders, we're a part of a wonderful community that we should all
      be very proud of. I hope it stays that way.

      As a side note, I also was able to attend a presentation by Jim
      Fitzpatrick, one of only a handful of people who have seen an Ivory-
      billed Woodpecker alive. It was a very emotional presentation and
      had the audience alternating between laughter, tears and cheers.

      Anyway, happy birding to you all!
      Paul Ollig
      Seward