Re: Call ID?

  • Ken Stenek
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2009
      Some very interesting guesses to my probe. A few votes for bristle-thigh, a couple for upland sandpiper/plover, a pacific slope flycatcher, and an olive-sided flycatcher. Based on the recording I have and what I heard on Whatbird.com the pacific slope flycatcher was the most similar but a little too high pitch. If it was closer in pitch to the Upland Sandpiper, which was very close as well, I would think we had a winner. Maybe next time I will take my video camera so I can record the call and maybe catch a glimpse. I cant discount the other guesses because I am only getting to listen to short recordings of one individual often singing during breeding. But thanks to you who have helped and I will keep them in mind as well as any other guesses.

      If you think about how you would whistle to call a dog or get someone's attention, that's what I was hearing.

      --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, Ken Stenek <kstenek@...> wrote:

      > I heard a call last night that caught my attention because it was
      > simple and memorable. It sounded like when you whistle at someone to
      > get your attention. Three tone higher pitch like fee-uhh-ree (bad
      > with mnemonics). Any guesses that I could check with my electronic
      > guide?
      >
      > Ken Stenek
      > Shishmaref
      >
      > Check out my new "Birds of Shishmaref" page at:
      > http://shishmaref.bssd.org/birdsofshishmaref/

    • WILLIAM HUBER
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2009
        Hi Ken, listen to a recorded call of pacific golden plover, your description fits this species vocalization quite nicely.

        Love your website

        Scott Huber

        Forest Ranch, Ca.

        To: beringia_birders@yahoogroups.com; AKBirding@yahoogroups.com