a question about the Loons nesting?

  • Vicki Biltz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi,

      First of all, it was the Willow area that I was needing information on, as the cabin I stayed at was on Long Lake. The owners of the cabin are wondering why the loons (common and pacific) are not on the nest, nor have indicated any nesting behaviour. I thought I would ask here. The Pacific Loon pair I was able to photograph (digiscope) ended up in a long battle with a lone Common Loon, who had invaded their little pond area. I found it fasinating to watch the battle unfold, with the swimming/flying across the top of the water, by both species, and yelping (as a whipped pup) of the Pacific Loon as the battle became more intense. The female Pacific Loon, joined in on occasion, but her man did most of the battle, and finally the Common who was huge in comparision. It was utterly fasinating. Only after the battle did I realize I could have video taped it with my Nikon which was mounted on my scope. Oh well.............

      I will be back next year, and have a better grip on the area that I will be birding. It was frustrating to head up to Hatcher's Pass, only to get hailed on, and find that the trail where the Ptarmigans were located was closed. Also too many dogs running loose at Summit.

      Plane is boarding,

      vicki Biltz

      Vicki Biltz Bonney Lake Wa. vickibiltz@... http:www.BirdsofEilat.com http://sawwhetsnew.blogspot.com/

    • Eddie Chapman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        Hallo all,

        Vicki, do you know if the loons have previously nested at that locality? It
        is not unusual for loons to build their nests at lakes with no food source
        and fly to nearby lakes that have fish to feed on. Here in Norway, all of
        the loon breeding sites that I know of have no food source, but very stable
        water levels. As for the fight, maybe the fight was over feeding rights, but
        I have never heard of this between loons before.

        Regards,

        Eddie Chapman, Voss, Norway. http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/Norway/

        Vicki Biltz Bonney Lake Wa. vickibiltz@... <mailto:vickibiltz%40msn.com>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
          Hi Ed, They have nested there for years, and this is a first for these loons, both pacific and common...........it is a concern, big time!

          Thanks for your reply, and bty, the Red Necked Grebes are being successful there, I saw many feedings of the fledglings, while getting photos. The fact that the Loons (neither Pacific or Common) have not nested yet on this lake when they usually have young by now, and the fact the Red Necked Grebes are faring well??? As the plane that we were leaving on flew over the lake, I did notice what appeared to be nesting activity with one Common Loon, but the others inactivity, is very uncommon.

          Vicki Biltz Bonney Lake Wa. vickibiltz@... http:www.BirdsofEilat.com http://sawwhetsnew.blogspot.com/

          To: AKBirding@yahoogroups.com