Plectrophenax buntings

  • Jason Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2005
      Hello birders,

      With McKay's Buntings now being seen on the mainland, I would like to
      encourage birders to closely examine any Plectrophenax bunting (i.e., Snow
      Bunting, McKay's Bunting) that appears to be on the pale side of the tonal
      spectrum.

      We now have some evidence that the winter ranges of male and female McKay's
      Buntings differ on average, so the appearance of a female McKay's in
      Richmond, British Columbia last winter may not be as remarkable as initially
      thought.

      Female McKay's Bunting can be very difficult to tell from Snow Bunting in
      fall and winter, so photographs of a suspect bird may be required to clinch
      its identification.

      Happy bunting watching,
      Jason Rogers
      Banff, AB