Snow Buntings and Dunlin

  • Aaron Lang
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2009
      I spent a few hours birding the Homer Spit today. Beautiful conditions..low 30s and calm with occasional sun. Lots of birds around, but only a few things of note. At Mariner Park there was group of 6 SNOW BUNTINGS in the tall grass near the slough. You have to walk through the grass to find them. At the south end of Mud Bay at high tide there was a flock of roughly 2,500+ ROCK SANDPIPERS and I was able to pick out one DUNLIN in the group. There were smaller groups of Rock Sandpipers (<40) elsewhere on the spit. There were good numbers of gulls around, especially between the ferry dock and Land's End where there were 400+ roosting and feeding. Unfortunately I was unable to find anything other than Glaucous-winged and Mew. There must be something else around hiding somewhere.

      Aaron Lang
      Homer