Great Gray Owl

  • paulncess
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
      This afternoon while walking Klondike, we got within 50 feet or so of a
      Great Gray Owl. It then flew towards the Matanuska River. The owl was
      behind our house on Lazy Mountain, outside of Palmer. We don't see
      them that often around the house. Paul Fritz
    • irasciblej
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
        I am currently in Anchorage, having arrive last night, and will leading the annual Texas Ornithological Society Trip here begining at the end of the week. We plan on traveling to the Denali Highway on June 13 and will pass by Toslona where the owl has been reported. I personally need this bird for my life list as do nearly all on this trip. My question is as follows--does anyone know if a hatch has occurred? The literature indicates that fledging is a 2 to 3 week process. I would like to just drive there with the group on the 13th to see the bird but if it is likely not to be there by then I will go there this week before they arrive. I would appreciate any input anyone might have.

        Jim Hailey
      • Bob Winckler
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi Jim,

          Observers posting to Ebird are reporting three Great Gray Owls from Tolsona Wilderness Campground seen on May 28th and 29th this year. I assume that at least one of those birds must be a nestling.

          Alternatively, you can call the Tolsona Wilderness Campground at (907) 822-3865 and ask the manager (Graham Ward), who takes birders to the nest site, what the current situation is with nestlings.
          Have fun,
          Bob Winckler
          Wasilla

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2010
            Hi Birders,

            I'm passing on the following sighting from Mat-Su Birders' member, Robin Turk:

            "Not sure if anyone wants to know... I saw a great gray owl 2:30 pm on Dec 27 at mile 285.5 Parks Highway by the Fish Creek bridge. It turned its head to look at us when we drove by. A nice treat on our drive home yesterday. That's about 20 miles south of Nenana. Robin"

            Here's to good birding in 2011,
            Bob Winckler
            Wasilla
          • wax4fun
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
              I was out on the trail today about one mile east of the Talkeetna Spur Rd. near the mile 10 marker when I spooked a Great Gray owl . I was able to watch it fly to its next perch where it appeared to size me up before deciding I wasn't suitable prey and took off through the forest.
              Chris Mannix
              Talkeetna
            • wandrea54
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
                A Great Gray Owl visited my backyard today at 5:30 for about 10 minutes. I've been too lazy to tromp out to the Coastal trail/Kincaid to hunt one down so I was quite excited one came to me instead. I'm in the Oceanview area next to Johns Park. Photos posted to the album Oceanview Birds.

                Andrea Ward
              • polliwog9_20
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Got a wonderful visit by a Great Gray Owl today at my brother's house in the Butte, near Palmer. We first saw him sitting on the ground, as he snatched up a small animal (mouse? vole?) and ate it in one gulp. Then he flew up into a low hanging brach, about 6 ft off the ground, and sat there for the rest of the day. He flew off at dusk. A wonderful finish to my trip up here!

                  I want to thank all of the birders who emailed me in response to my initial query, and special thanks to trapperdan and dave s who were kind enough to take me out to look for some interesting birds. I'll hopefully be back this spring, and get to see much more!!

                  Ashley M
                  Chapel Hill, NC
                • tolsona2
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 18 11:45 AM
                    After a three year absence, the Great Gray Owls are again nesting at Tolsona Wilderness Campground.    I do not announce this information to my campers because I do not want non-birders flocking to the nesting area, so be discrete if you visit.

                    Be aware here is a charge for the the attendant to close the office and guide birders to the site.  ($5 each with $20 Minimum).
                  • Louann Feldmann
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 20, 2015
                      A local, Meg Kurtagh, was riding her bike on the Tour of Anchorage Trail yesterday (count day) and photographed a Great Gray Owl just south of the underpass under MLK road! The photo is good enough for an ID and we are counting it!  We'll all have fun refining it. Louann Feldmann Anchorage