[AK Birding] New Book about Southeast Alaska Birds

  • Bob Winckler
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi Birders,

      Thanks to Ed Clark for his posting about the U.S. Forest Service
      Pacific NW GTR #739. I managed to find the Report on the web
      at <http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_gtr739.pdf> for those
      who might like to read it or download a .pdf copy (1.52 MB).
      Cheers,
      Bob Winckler
      Wasilla
      ------------------------

      On Nov 28, 2008, at 10:06 AM, alaskabirder wrote:

      Greetings Alaskan Birders,

      I just received my copy of "Birds of the Major Mainland Rivers
      of Southeast Alaska" by James A. Johnson, Brad A. Andres, and John
      A. Bissonette. This publication is a US Department of Agriculture
      Booklet published through the US Forest Service Pacific Northwest
      Research Station. It is General Technical Report Number 739 (PNW-GTR-
      739).
      This 88 page paperback is a summary paper about bird communities
      restricted to the mainland river corridors from the Alsek in the
      north to the Salmon River near Hyder. The book covers habitat,
      breeding, migration, vagrants, and conservation concerns of the
      transmountain and costal rivers of southeast. The portion of the
      book that appeals most to me is the 46 page Annotated Bibliography
      which uses all of the current knowledge of status of all species
      which have been documented along these rivers up to 2006. There are
      5 pages of references alone!
      This free publication is a must have for all students of Alaska's
      birds, particularly if one is planning a trip to one of these rivers.

      Cheers,
      Ed Clark
      Co-moderator
      Alaska Rare Bird Listser