re: Homer Birds

  • todd_eskelin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2008
      George, Mossy and Dave,

      You are days away for the late record Wilson's Warbler. Currently,
      the record stands at Nov. 18th, so keep me posted on how late that
      bird stays. A little ways to go on the other species mentioned,
      Orange-crowned is Dec. 29th and Eurasian Wigeon is Dec. 28th.

      Todd Eskelin
    • kenaibirder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2013
        A "great" day of birding yields about 14 species this time of year in Kenai so we headed to Homer mid-week to see if we could improve on that total. Wanted to try for BRAMBLINGS at both Homer residences but both owners recommended otherwise since birds had not been seen for days. Tried for NORTHERN FLICKER but missed it by ten minutes. Other birds seen:

        Greater Scaup
        Harlequin Duck
        Surf Scoter
        White-winged Scoter
        Black Scoter
        Long-tailed Duck
        Bufflehead
        Common Goldeneye
        Common Merganser
        Red-breasted Merganser
        Ring-necked Pheasant
        RED-THROATED LOON - made for four loon day
        Pacific Loon
        Common Loon
        Yellow-billed Loon
        Horned Grebe
        Red-necked Grebe
        Pelagic Cormorant
        Bald Eagle
        NORTHERN HARRIER - female, Seaside Farm, westside ravine at sunset
        Northern Goshawk
        ROCK SANDPIPER - 400 in Boat Harbor
        DUNLIN - 1 with Rock Sandpipers
        Mew Gull
        Herring Gull
        THAYER'S GULL - 2, adult and first year
        Glaucous-winged Gull
        Common Murre
        Pigeon Guillemot
        Marbled Murrelet
        Rock Pigeon
        Hairy Woodpecker
        Steller's Jay
        Black-billed Magpie
        Northwest Crow
        Common Raven
        Black-capped Chickadee
        Boreal Chickadee
        Red-breasted Nuthatch
        RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET - at suet feeder
        MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD - at Fernwood, morning and evening dusk
        American Robin
        VARIED THRUSH - Seaside Farm
        Bohemian Waxwing
        American Tree Sparrow