AK/Montana Goldens?

  • paulncess
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2008
      Every spring, hawkwatchers and visitors alike at Gunsight speculate
      as to where "our" raptors migrate to and from.

      This past Thursday, I finally got a piece to the puzzle.

      Back in March, Bob Sartor and I had an adult Golden Eagle fly
      directly over our heads. I put the 8X binocs on it and noticed it
      had two different colored patagial markere, one in each wing. I
      quicky grabbed the scope, but by then the angle was such that I
      couldn't read the apha-numeric markings on the bird. So that day I e-
      mailed the Bird Banding Lab with what little information we had.

      Thursday a bander got back to me. He operates a banding station at
      Rogers Pass, (N.W. Of Helena) in Montana. The eagle Bob and I saw
      was the 4th GE marked at the Rogers Pass Banding station that is
      known to migrate to Alaska. Carol McIntyre has seen two of the
      marked birds in Denali Park. A third GE (which has an attached
      satellite telemetry unit on it) has nested east of Denali. This bird
      was in Alaska the same day I reported our eagle.

      Paul Fritz, Palmer, AK