Birds

  • davidsonne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      Sunday
      There is a nice group of about 30 sparrows (White-crowned, Golden-crowned,
      Lincoln's) and a few Orange-crowned Warblers at the recycling plant at the end
      of West Northern Lights Boulevard.
      Dave Sonneborn

      deal here.

    • gary_rasmussen2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Acting on Dave's posting I drove out behind the airport. At the point
        where the pavement ends, (end of the double yellow line) near the
        fuel tanks, there was a very small puddle on the south side of the
        road. Dozens of birds were flying down to drink and bath in the
        puddle. I had stumbling into a very large, mixed flock, of migrants,
        moving through the area. The trees were filled with birds in all
        direction. I believe I saw at least 9 different species in less then
        ten minutes. Then suddenly they were all gone - not a bird in sight!

        However, I did take a couple, of poor quality photos, of a
        female/juvenile MacGillivray's Warbler.

        Gary Rasmussen
        Anchorage

        --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, davidsonne@... wrote:

        > Sunday
        > There is a nice group of about 30 sparrows (White-crowned, Golden-
        crowned,
        > Lincoln's) and a few Orange-crowned Warblers at the recycling plant
        at the end
        > of West Northern Lights Boulevard.
        > Dave Sonneborn
        > Anchorage
        >

        > **************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find
        your travel
        > deal here.

      • Anthony Newcomer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2011
          Hello, just thought I would share something exciting for a person just starting the hobby. In fact I have only been doing it for only a month and a fee days. Found my 15th species today:) A common goldeneye. Seen at the east lagoon of Chester.

          Anthony, Anchorage

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Anthony Newcomer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
            So I have not posted in a while. But cool lifers have been acquired these past 2 weekends. The first being a hike up the south peak of Rendezvous Peak of Arctic Valley. Still needing high birds for my lifer, my friend Bill and I found a Rock Ptarmigan couple. We sat and observed for many minutes. They were quite unconcerned about us. They ate and pruned themselves. Being just a 13ft away got great looked of the large red mark on the head. The male was still very much white but his mate was in her seasonal plumage. It was a scorcher of a day on Father's Day.

            Today Bill and I went out again early in the morning. Destination Potter's Marsh. Low an behold we saw several teals. Upon closer inspection one ended up being a Blue-winged teal:) Got great looks at the large crescent white face mark and the grayish blue head that separated it from the Green-winged teals. We watched for several minutes. Nearing the end of the walk I decided to look for it again and it left:( Timing really is everything in birding.

            Both birds are ones I have been wanting since I started this. But for one reason or another they have evaded me until now. Not through lack of effort either. The old cliche "good things come to those who wait.":) is rather apropos.

            Sent from my iPhone