Shishmaref Gull and Sea Bird

  • Ken Stenek
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      I had a community member call and reported a Crested Auklet on the
      beach. I wasn't able to see it myself but confirmed the sighting
      through the individual's photos. We have a high surf advisory for
      tomorrow so I am not sure what the storm will bring in. High water
      has brought in a huge amount of wood that has washed up presumably
      from the Yukon River well to the south and unfortunately some dead sea-
      going birds (found a pair of Common Eiders).

      I did view and photograph a 3 cy Slaty-backed Gull while looking for
      the auklet along the beach at the East Channel with some Glaucous
      Gulls, Black-legged Kittiwakes, and Arctic Terns. This was my first
      confirmed sighting of a Slaty-backed here but a sighting was reported
      to me by Brad Benter (Federal Fish and Wildlife Service Walrus
      Biologist) during a visit last fall.

      Also seen today were Lapland Longspurs, Common Redpolls, Savannah
      Sparrows, Snow Buntings, Western and Semipalmated Sandpipers, and a
      Semipalmated Plover.

      As the amount of free time I have available to bird decreases with the
      approach of the new school year in a few weeks, I hope to get some new
      migrants on their way south. Last year I photographed a Wilson's
      Warbler, Fox and American Tree Sparrows and several others so am
      hoping for another successful fall.

      Ken Stenek
      Shishmaref

      Check out my new "Birds of Shishmaref" page at:
      http://shishmaref.bssd.org/birdsofshishmaref/