Shorebird Bonanza

  • John Wenger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      If I thought yesterday was good with having several hundred Short-billed
      Dowithchers just arrive from the breeding grounds, tonight was 20 times
      better! Dave Sonneborne and I estimated several THOUSAND today!
      Unfortunately, we were the only ones seriously watching this huge
      concentration. They must have arrived last night sometime. At times,
      large flocks would take flight, twisting and turning in the distance.
      Your best viewing is just before high tide (it was super from 7 to 8pm
      tonight). At high tide, the shorebirds can be within 100 feet but a
      scope is better as hundreds are in the flats farther out. They are
      roughly at the same location as in my last night's post but today were
      farther north towards the end of the Coastal Trail in downtown
      Anchorage. You could drive/park close to the Trail downtown or else
      park at the North Parking Lot at Westchester Lagoon and walk back
      northward towards downtown on the Coastal Trail. Besides the Short-
      bills, for shorebirds, we got 2-3 Surfbirds, 2 Black Turnstones, 2
      Whimbels, 50 to 100 Semi-palmated Plovers, and 50-100 Least Sandpipers.
      If that doesn't keep you busy, the usual passerines are singing nearby
      and there are mucho gulls. If the weather holds like today, this can be
      as good as the Homer Shorebird Festival! John Wenger Anchorage