Dowitchers Galore!

  • John Wenger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008
      Birding the Coastal Trail by bike was great today on the Inlet side of
      Westchester Lagoon. At least 200 Short-billed Dowithcers just came in
      from thier breeding grounds. They were congregated on the mudflats,
      just north of where Chester Creek hits Cook Inlet. With the low sun
      backlighting the birds, it was a bit difficult picking thru them for
      anything unusual. However, Melanie Smith, from our Audubon office here
      in Anchorage, and I were able to find two Black Turnstones. In talking
      with a group of visiting Swedish birders who had scopes, they found
      earlier a Surfbird also amoung the SBDOs. The tide was quite high around
      7pm today so all mentioned species were all quite close. There were only
      a few Hudsonian Godwits seen (my earliest sighting for returning
      Hudsonians this year was 15 June- just four birds). But with todays
      report, the southern outmigration has begun in earnest. John Wenger