- I saw a flock of about 20 Snow Buntings at the Palmer Airport todayabot
11. Are any of you seeing them in other locations in south central? I
would really like to get some pictures of them.
- Today Wed. 23 November Charlie saw 60 Snow Buntings in the Plant
Material Center's field. The Center is South and East of Palmer about
four miles. We have seen them there other years, but this is a large
number for this early in the winter.
- On a short walk from home to the ball fields at Tikishla Park, a flock
of what I guessed were waxwings flew over and alit in a tall
cottonwood. Not all of them appeared to be the same size, so I checked
them out and over half were robins! First time I've seen that many
robins at this time of year, or robins mixed with waxwings. I think
there were 10-15 robins in the flock. Some went over to another tree
that was populated with magpies, as if they weren't sure who to hang
- The 19th of Dec. Charlie and I saw a large flock of (about 150) snow
buntings on the western edge of the Plant Material Center field. This
field is about 2 miles south of the Butte and about 1/2 north of the
Knik River. In winters past we have also seen large flocks there with
their numbers increasing as the winter goes on.
- i saw a flock of about two dozen snow buntings along the Talkeetna Spur Rd. at mile 9.5. These guys are some of our earliest migrants and I don't see 'em every year.
- Saturday Afternoon, the Great Grays did not put in an appearance during our late afternoon walk at the Compost Facility, but 3 Snow Buntings showed up at close range. Great looking birds as a consolation prize.