resend: Photos of a "white-cowled" Common Redpoll

  • prentki
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      _____

      From: prentki [mailto:prentki@...]
      Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 10:12 PM
      To: 'akbirding@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: resend: Photos of a "white-cowled" Common Redpoll

      [Somehow my default email account got switched on my outgoing email and this
      message wasn't accepted by akbirding yesterday.] I have posted two
      imperfect pictures of a "white-cowled" Common Redpoll on
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/akbirding/. This is presumably the same bird
      reported on the Anchorage Audubon website on January 13. The pictures are
      from the first week in February. Since then, the bird has developed some
      pink on the front, and thus is a male. It apparently has been ranging
      between along the Muldoon area from at 36th Avenue to Glenn Highway. We saw
      the bird about 8 times from December 2004 through February 2005 at 430 Donna
      Drive, always in the late afternoon.

      The bird is definitely a Common and not Hoary Redpoll [heavy side streaking
      on flanks and strongly streaked rump], but a strikingly pretty bird.

      Dick Prentki

      Anchorage

      prentki@...