beach bums

  • Beth Peluso
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2008
      I saw a bit of a sparrow party while walking along the sidewalk between the bridge and the mouth of Gold Creek in Juneau. In the rocks at the edge of the mud (the tide was out) I saw a pair of song sparrows, one singing. I also saw my first of season savannah sparrows foraging among the seaweed, 4 or 5 of them. I think there were some American tree sparrows too, but they were gone before I could get my binocs on them. The most surprising beach bum was a brilliant male yellow-rumped warbler (Myrtle) who appeared to be flycatching from the rocks. He'd dart out low over the mud, sometimes landing, sometimes zigzaging wildly. Must've been something tasty!

      At my home on Douglas I heard a male rufous hummer displaying this morning. Has anyone seen females around yet or is he being optimistic?

      Beth Peluso
      Juneau