Re: Swallow question

  • shaggagrant
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2008
      For what it's worth, I used to walk past the BLM vehicle shed almost
      daily about 10 years ago. There was an annual influx of the swallows
      in Spring (I wasn't a birder then and never knew there was more than
      one kind. We always were happy to see them flying around eating
      mosquitoes. The BLM carried out a fairly ardent bird eradication
      program in those days. The swallows pooped on their government
      vehicles so they wanted them gone (this was based on comments from
      the vehicle drivers back then). They installed some sort of noise
      makers that had no effect, then they put out inflatable balloons with
      big eyes which were also ignored. I seem to recall plastic owls too
      but not for long. I know the nests were broken up regularly but I'm
      not sure if that was during nesting season. Finally the metal I-
      beams were covered over with sheet metal and that seemed to do the
      trick. I can't really say the mosquitoes got any worse once the
      swallows stopped nesting there but we were sad to see them go.

      Joe H

      Cliff swallows nest on Bartlett High School air vents. I think they
      wait until school lets out for summer.

      I used to see Cliff Swallows at the Campbell Creek BLM Facility where
      they nested under the eaves of the vehicle shed. I haven't seen them
      in recent years. Does anyone else have "notes" about Cliff Swallows at
      the BLM facility or in Anchorage?> prentki@...