White-cowled common redpoll

  • keslerwoodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      I posted on the Boreal Birder group site a link to pictures I took of a very [to me] unusual
      white-headed common redpoll that was at my feeders in Fairbanks most of the day on
      Saturday:

      http://flickr.com/photos/91346669@N00/

      Dick Prentki of this group sent a message, saying that a similar one had been seen in 2004-
      2005 in Anchorage, and that there were a couple of pictures of it in the AK Birding photos
      folder here. Those photos do look like exactly the same kind of bird.

      My question is whether anyone else has seen such redpolls, or knows anything about this
      color variation. My search on the internet turned up just one more image on someone's Flickr
      site, and a reference to a 1991 paper on the topic (with no way to retrieve the paper itself).

      Thanks for any further info.

      Kes Woodward
      Fairbanks