McKay's Bunting still present

  • alaskabirder
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10 8:39 PM
      Greetings Alaska Birders,

      I have work in Anchorage this week (10-16 February)and I though that
      I would stop by the Plant Materials Center near Bodenburg Butte on my
      way to downtown. I arrived around 9:45AM and walked out past the gate
      to the "favorite" tree past the irrigation systems. The winter plumaged
      male McKay's Bunting was in the tree with about 60-70 Snow Buntings. I
      went back to the car to get the photography equipment and when I
      returned the McKay's was gone. I waited around until lunch and went
      back to get the scope as buntings were actively feeding in the fields.
      The flock returned to the favorite tree but without the male McKay's
      and this time it was reduced to about 40 Snow Buntings. Pat Pourchot
      and Eric Meyers showed up and we waited until 3:00PM for the McKay's to
      return without sucess.
      I went to the previuosly reported Brambling location in the alley to
      the north of East Manor betwwen Cunningham and Boyd. I could not find
      the Brambling but a getleman across the alley from the "raised" trash
      can rack and the "hidden" bird feeder in the spruces said that the bird
      was still around "or so he thought". I was getting late and the sun was
      going down. My breif search did not turn up the Brambling, but a more
      diligent search might have as there were many birds headed to roost.
      Please post to AKBirding if the Brambling is still around if you go
      there and find it.

      Thanks,
      Ed Clark
      co-moderator