Re: [AK Birding] Raptor ??

  • Chris Maack
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 17, 2005
      No more thoughts, Dody. Maybe someone else can chime in.

      Chris Maack
      Anchorage

    • Doug Lloyd
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
        Welcome Dody to the group and Alaska. I bird Knik river road quite
        often in the fall to photograph the swans. Seems like every little
        pocket of water will hold a few for a couple weeks. That area is where
        I normally see my first Pine Grosbeaks of the fall/winter also along
        with the common redpolls. Did I mention the wonderful N light up that
        valley. LOL
        Has anyone invited you to become a member of the MatSu Bird club?
        Doug

        Dody Kettler wrote:

        > Hello. My name is Dody and we just moved to Alaska 6 weeks ago. We
        > live off of Knik River Road and just love our view of the mountains
        > and the river! I have been birding for approximately 7 years,
        > starting when we lived in Omaha, continuing in Germany and Wyoming and
        > now here. We are an Air Force family who is on their last
        > assignment. My husband already thinks we will never leave. I need to
        > get through a winter first before I can say that.
        > I have wonderful bird in my backyard including the juncos, magpies,
        > olive-sided flycatcher, yellow warblers, yellow rumped warbles, and
        > what we thought was a gyrfalcon. We studied him for about 20 minutes
        > and we are pretty sure it was a dark adult. I may be off on this. I
        > don't get to bird enough to be really good at it, but I certainly try.
        > I am very excited to start birding again and I sure hope some on this
        > list will help me figure out birding in Alaska!
        > Dody in Palmer, off Knik River Road

        > Remember -- Be nice!

      • paulncess
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
          Hi Dody and welcome to Alaska. I live on Lazy Mountain and there are
          plenty of other birders who live down your way.

          Your area is unusual habitat for a gyrfalcon but anything is possible.
          Certainly peregrine or goshawk is more likely but rarely would a
          Peregrine appear to have very rounded wings. If it was a young
          goshawk, it would have prominent tawny bars on the top of the wing
          (greater coverts), a feature lacking on goshawks and peregrines.

          Anyway, starting late August there are fair to good flights of
          migrating raptors moving through this area. A good place to view the
          migration which will include a few Peregrines in early September is on
          top of Bodenburg Butte. The best trail up the Butte is off
          Mothershead Road which is off Bodenburg Loop (north end) which is off
          the Old Glenn Hwy in Butte. In early-mid September, this flight also
          includes good numbers of sandhill cranes, one afternoon I counted 800
          cranes from this location. The cranes continue to fly up the knik
          river flying appearing to head up over the icefield.

          Also, Mat-Su Birders, a wild bird club meets the 2nd Tuesday of each
          month from September through June. Meetings are fun and a good place
          to meet other birders and learn about places to bird. Meetings are at
          the Palmer Public Library at 7 pm. First room on the left inside the
          door. E-mail me if you would like to climb the Butte for raptor
          migration. pncfritz@...

          Cecily Fritz

        • Dody Kettler
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
            Hi Doug and thanks for the welcome. Actually we have had a family of swans living here all summer. Two adults and 3 cignets. We watch them most days. I am looking forward to the beautiful fall birds and I absolutely CAN'T wait for the NL! And yes, I have been invited to the group and will certainly be there the first September meetings.
            Thanks again
            Dody on the Knik

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
              Thanks Cecily. I am a little confused. Is this the same group that Delesta said meets the second Wednesday of each month at the Palmer Library, or a different group altogether?
              Yes, I guess it was a Peregrine Falcon. Maybe our view of the wings was somewhat distorted. I guess I will never know unless it returns. I have been watching, but no sign so far.
              I saw about 50 sandhills when I was at the U-Pick-It farm on Bodenburg loop a couple of weeks ago. We lived in Nebraska and made many trips to Kearney to see the millions of migrating Sandhills. It is an amazing sight.
              If you do a raptor hike up the Butte, just email me. We may be interested in that.
              Thanks again!
              Dody on the Knik

              paulncess <pncfritz@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Victor L. Fondy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
                Hi Dody:

                Welcome to Alaska and the birding group. We enjoyed your personal message. My wife and I are retired and live in Cedar Hills subdivision in Palmer about a mile North of Carr's up the Glenn Highway. We have a remote fly-in cabin 100 miles up the Susitna Valley. We also have a home in the Black Hills of SD and spend winters outside.

                You probably know about the Mat-Su Bird Club. Meetings are held Sept-May at the Palmer Library 7 PM on the 2nd Thursday. Next meeting is September 15 and we hope you can join us.

                Thanks for sharing your sightings.

                Vic/Donna Fondy 746-7316

              • Chris Maack
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005
                  Every meeting I've ever been to was on a Wednesday. Hadn't heard of any
                  plans to change it.

                  Chris Maack
                  Anchorage

                  On Aug 18, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Dody Kettler wrote:

                  > Okay everyone!  I just love getting to know all of you and I am really
                  > looking forward to birding, but I have now been told that the MSBG
                  > meeting is the second Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each month.
                  > Could someone let me know for sure which night of the week you all
                  > meet?  I don't want to miss it, but don't want to show up when no one
                  > is there! LOL
                  > Thanks
                  > Dody

                  > Remember -- Be nice!

                  > Land use
                  > Far west
                  > Pet bird
                  > Wild bird
                  > Outdoors
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > ▪  Visit your group "akbirding" on the web.

                  > Service.

                • Dody Kettler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 18, 2005