Owls

  • Steve W.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2007
      Here's a good web site for bird calls, even though it's a web site for
      Flathead Lake Area in Montana....it has most common birds of the
      western US.

      http://www.flatheadaudubon.org/content/birds/songs/index.htm

      Steve Waltz
    • Anthony Newcomer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
        So, after a few days of watching the many posts on owls being heard around Far North Bicentennial Park I finally got out there this evening. It was 7-8 PM. This was my first "owling" experience. Need many owls as this is only #3 for my life list. Anyway, not a 100yards from my car I heard a Saw-Whet owl. I continued walking in the dark toward Service High. The sound kept on getting louder and louder. I figure I got almost 10 feet away. Never did see it. This particular bird never did stop calling and at a quick cadence. What a pleasant way to end a Saturday:)

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Cathy Foerster
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
          Joanna Hubbard and I also went out last night looking for the owls.  We went down the Gasline Trail from Hilltop, where we heard two Saw-Whets but never saw one.  Nor did we hear or see anything else -- except a woman walking her dog.
          Cathy Foerster
          Anchorage

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2015
            Does anyone know of a good spot to see or hear owls on the kenai peninsula?

            Jonah L
          • echecsinalaska
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2015
              A couple of years ago I was hearing lots of Great Horned and some Great Grey owls
              in my part of Nikiski. Not so much anymore. Not sure why. I'm thinking that with
              the recent clearings going on along the Spur Highway and in other areas of Nikiski,
              that the owls have moved to these more open areas.

              Dorey Harman
              Nikiski

              Does anyone know of a good spot to see or hear owls on the kenai peninsula?

              Jonah L
            • Darlene R Kellogg
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2015
                I live in Kasilof and we have not seen or heard any owls since a year ago last fall.  We used to see and hear owls frequently around our house, but now since the snowshoe hare population has decreased so much, there is not enough food for them anymore.  I believe this encompasses most if not all of the Kenai Peninsula.  We have not seen any snowshoe hare tracks around our house or any of our friends properties for 2 winters now.  Some friends, about 3 miles away have seen one set of tracks only once this winter.  It may be awhile before the owls are back.  They need to eat.