Gulls and others in Homer

  • Aaron Lang
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      Yesterday morning (10/31) there was a first winter GLAUCOUS GULL at the ferry dock in Homer. 3 FORK-TAILED STORM PETRELS were flying not far off the end of the spit, and at quite a distance in a large gull flock were at least 10 "dark" shearwaters--quite a bit too far to identify beyond that. Just before sunset a 3rd winter SLATY-BACKED GULL was loafing at Beluga Slough. A RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET out east end road.

      Aaron Lang

    • Aaron Lang
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2011
        For the most part gull watching in Homer this winter has been underwhelming.
        Today (1/23) one of the fish processors was processing and a nice gull flock
        was attracted to the offal outflow near the ferry dock at the end of the
        Homer Spit. There were 550-600 GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS and 300 MEW GULLS. Also
        attracted to the offal was a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL and 200-250
        Long-tailed Ducks.On the rising tide at Mud Bay I estimated around 5,000
        ROCK SANDPIPERS. It looked like it might be a good show at or near high
        tide, but unfortunately I was unable to stick around until then. One feisty
        RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET is still coming to my suet feeder about 6 miles east of
        Homer.

        If they keep processing maybe something will blow in on this storm and find
        the food trough.

        Aaron Lang
        Homer, AK