Marsh Sandpiper on Adak

  • John Puschock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      I found a Marsh Sandpiper, Ruff, and Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Clam Lagoon,
      Adak, this evening (8/31/07). This is my second Marsh Sandpiper on Adak,
      the island's third, and the fourth record for North America, pending
      acceptance.

      Today was the best day since I arrived last Sunday, probably because this
      was the first day I didn't get drunk in the afternoon and watch Oprah
      instead of going birding. Just kidding -- I did that today too. But
      seriously, I also had a Slaty-backed Gull, Gyrfalcon, and a snipe which was
      probably a Common. The only other semi-noteworthy migrants since I've been
      here have been a Gray-tailed Tattler and a Savannah Sparrow early in the
      week. All of these birds except possibly the snipe and sparrow were
      immatures.

      I should have a few photos of the Marsh Sandpiper on Surfbirds soon. BTW,
      the last Marsh Sandpiper here stayed 4 days, so as always, if you have deep
      pockets or miles to use, the next flight out here is Sunday afternoon.

      No sign of the Spot-billed Duck, but there's a good chance it's just found a
      good place to hide while it molts.

      John Puschock
      San Diego, CA, currently on Adak
      g_g_allin@...
      http://www.birdtreks.com & http://www.sdbirding.com

      Can you find the hidden words?� Take a break and play Seekadoo!
      http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1