RFI: Anchorage to Denali

  • mcbirder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi AK Birders,

      I am in Anchorage doing a bit of office work while waiting to do some
      field work, so I may have a chance to escape for some birding on the
      weekend. There are four species in particular that I would be
      interested in catching up with: Northern Hawk-Owl, Great Grey Owl,
      Black-backed Woodpecker, and Arctic Warbler. Can anyone suggest
      places to check for the aforementioned species on the stretch from
      Anchorage to Denali or perhaps at Denali? Any help would be
      appreciated.

      Many thanks,
      Jeremy Gatten
      Brentwood Bay, B.C. (but Anchorage, AK for now)
    • Ken_Russell@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        There have been recent reports of Black-Backed Woodpeckers and Northern
        Hawk-Owls in the Nome Creek valley off the Steese Highway. Go to 57 mile
        Steese Highway (it's paved that far) and turn up the US Creek Rd. You can
        print a map at:
        http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/white_mtns/campgrounds.html The owls
        have either been of the Table Mountain trail or near the Ophir campground.

        There were Great Gray Owls reported in that area early in the summer but
        no recent reports.

        There are huge burned areas along the Steese from 2004 and any of these
        are good places for woodpecker. I saw a Black-Backed at about mile 95 of
        the Steese yesterday.

        Ken Russell
        Fairbanks

        "mcbirder" <jarofme@...>