Re: [AK Birding] Swallows

  • Pamela Eldridge
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
      Our nest boxes in South Anchorage were not used this summer although both boxes were guarded by an aggressive male who had no mate. Possibly this was the surviving bird of a neighbor's cat attack when the mating pair spiraled to the ground and the xxx got the bottom bird. Hard to know if this lone male was the surviving bird, but we've had nesting swallows every year for at least 7 or 8 years so I suspect it was the survivor. Will an unrelated pair use them next year?

      It's just too early for them to go!

      Pam Eldridge
      Anchorage

      Chris Maack <cmaack@...> wrote:
      I think the swallows just do one clutch a year, Michelle, but some get
      started later than others. My tree swallows this year flirted around
      with three different nest boxes before getting down to business and
      their young weren't big enough to fledge until last week. I never did
      see them leave, but nothing is going on around the box anymore.

      Sigh, summer's waning.

      Chris Maack
      Anchorage

      On Jul 30, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Franulovich wrote:

      > The swallows out here in King Salmon (on the Alaska Peninsula) have
      > been
      > gone for about a week now. (too bad cause the bugs are bad enough as
      > it is)
      > With our off an on weather, the bugs were late but came out with a
      > vengance.
      > We have two nesting boxes for the swallows, and they come back to it
      > every
      > year. This year though, it did seem like they didn¹t have as many
      > chicks.
      > I¹m not a bird biologist so I don¹t know but do they have multiple
      > clutches
      > in a season? If so, I don¹t think our families did this year. They
      > seemed to
      > have the first set of babies right away but then never seemed to
      > actively
      > pursue having another if you catch my drift (I¹m trying to keep it
      > clean
      > for our younger readers). I¹m also noticing some movement with the
      > sandhill
      > cranes. Oh and I have two pairs of loons on the pond behind my house
      > and
      > they both have been actively calling. I love that sound! Michelle
      > Franulovich
      >
      > On 7/29/07 7:22 PM, "Laura Kluge" <ocdbirder@...> wrote:
      >

      > > The swallows that nest in my neighbors garage have been gone about
      > a week or
      > > so now. They leave as quickly as they come, don't they?
      > >
      > > Laura Kluge
      > >
      > > On 7/29/07, pmleldridge <pam@...
      > <mailto:pam%40akphotogrl.com> >

      > was
      > quite and

    • Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
        I backpacked Johnsons Pass and there were a number of swallows flying
        around a mile north of Bench Lake on Tuesday.

        Alan S. Carmer
        Bird Point
      • Laura Kluge
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
          There are still swallows in Seward. And a could of marbled murrelets in the
          bay. And a pair of common loons.

          Laura Kluge
          Anchorage

          On 8/3/07, Smith <smithandjones99@...> wrote:

          > I backpacked Johnsons Pass and there were a number of swallows flying
          > around a mile north of Bench Lake on Tuesday.
          >
          > Alan S. Carmer
          > Bird Point

        • Georgette Frantz
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2, 2008
            Another question about swallows -
            I have a burl on our carport that swallows nest in every year for many years.
            Yesterday I saw something I've never witnessed before - my neighbor and I stood & watched 6 different swallows(tree) feeding the babies inside - we watched for a long time to make sure what we were seeing.
            There would be one adult inside, 2 hanging on the whole, 2 sitting on top of the burl & one still flying around the whole.
            They all went in and out regularly.
            Is it usual for 6 to be feeding the babies of one pair, were the 4 extra trying to steal the food or what?
            Was amazing to watch.

            Georgette Frantz
            Sand Lake

          • Chris Maack
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2008
              I have seen extra "parents" at tree swallows nests in the past,
              Georgette, but not that many! It always mystified me.

              Chris Maack
              Anchorage

              On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Georgette Frantz wrote:

              > Another question about swallows -
              > I have a burl on our carport that swallows nest in every year for
              > many years.
              > Yesterday I saw something I've never witnessed before - my neighbor
              > and I stood & watched 6 different swallows(tree) feeding the babies
              > inside - we watched for a long time to make sure what we were seeing.
              > There would be one adult inside, 2 hanging on the whole, 2 sitting on
              > top of the burl & one still flying around the whole.
              > They all went in and out regularly.
              > Is it usual for 6 to be feeding the babies of one pair, were the 4
              > extra trying to steal the food or what?
              > Was amazing to watch.
              >
              > Georgette Frantz
              > Sand Lake
              > Anchorage

            • Chris Maack
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2009
                Is it my imagination or are there fewer swallows around town this
                year? Received a second or third hand report that in the McCarthy
                area, at Cliff Collins place, none of their 85 nest boxes is occupied.

                Chris Maack

              • Delesta Fox
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2009
                  chris...Not your imagination according to birders on the Deshka, at Big Lake and in town...not only reduction in swallows, but reports low on other species. On the lake last weekend I noticed a drastic reduction in Mallards, Scoters, Mergansers, Grebes, both Common & Pacific loons..
                  Next week I will do another count on the lake and compare w/previous years data.
                  Maybe the large storms in the mid-west & coastal areas had their effect on the birds during migration (?)
                  delesta

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 20, 2009
                    My observation here at Seaside Farm in HOmer. Fewer swallows than
                    last year, and for the first time in 30 years no Cliff Swallows, which
                    usually come to nest on my house. ALso little nesting activity so far,
                    although we now have some insects. It is very disconcerting. Mossy
                    Kilcher
                    On Jun 19, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Chris Maack wrote:

                    > Is it my imagination or are there fewer swallows around town this
                    > year? Received a second or third hand report that in the McCarthy
                    > area, at Cliff Collins place, none of their 85 nest boxes is occupied.
                    >
                    > Chris Maack
                    > Anchorage

                  • tgtljo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 28 2:32 PM
                      With the cooler temps this AM early VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were concentrated over lower Ship Ck (Sat 4/28). I estimated 150-200 there around 1100.

                      Thede Tobish
                    • dpopham
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2013
                        Seems early but two swallows were flying around above the birch trees in my back yard last nite (Eagle River). Heard them more than saw them and they were there for less than a minute but they looked like Violet-green. Coulda been Tree. I was raking leaves and making a cloud of mosquitos and just maybe they knew it.
                      • Thede Tobish
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 31, 2014
                          Hundreds of swallows are currently concentrated at the east side of Spenard Lake (Sat 5/31). Many are feeding and walking on the grass and parking lot behind the hotel. I've seen all four local breeding species.

                          Thede Tobish