Bird identification help

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007
      I just uploaded a photo (album is AKPEAC) of what I think is a male
      yellow-rumped warbler. Is it? He's been hanging out at our house
      (Turnagain area) for the past couple of nights. Makes a nice change
      from the routine crowd of nuthatches, redpolls, chickadees, juncos,
      etc.

      Oh, and while your're looking in the album...could you look at my
      photo of the yellow-legs? Is there an easy way to tell the Greaters
      from the Lessers? Let me know if it's incorrectly labeled (or
      anything else, for that matter!).

      Thank you.

      Karen Webster
      Parrot Education & Adoption Center
      www.akpeac.org
    • Bob Winckler
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007
        Hi Karen,
        Your yardbird is a Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle subspecies) and the yellowlegs is a
        Greater Yellowlegs. The primary ways to distinguish between the Greater and Lesser
        Yellowlegs when looking at a photograph would be the bill length and the plumage
        markings on the flank. The bill of the Greater is usually longer than its head length and is
        often somewhat upturned. The bill of the Lesser is normally equal to its head length.
        When in breeding plumage, the flank of the Greater is usually marked with numerous dark
        bars and the flank of the Lesser is mostly unmarked. Of course, there's a size difference
        between the species, but unless you see the two species side by side (which is often
        possible off of the Coastal Trail on the other side of the RR tracks at Westchester Lagoon),
        it's hard to use size as an ID factor. The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North
        America and the National Geograhic Field Guide to the Birds of NA both have good
        descriptions of both yellowlegs species and also discuss the differences in the flight and
        display calls of each species.
        Cheers,
        Bob Winckler
        Mat-Su Birders

        --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <akpeac@...> wrote:

        > I just uploaded a photo (album is AKPEAC) of what I think is a male
        > yellow-rumped warbler. Is it? He's been hanging out at our house
        > (Turnagain area) for the past couple of nights. Makes a nice change
        > from the routine crowd of nuthatches, redpolls, chickadees, juncos,
        > etc.
        >
        > Oh, and while your're looking in the album...could you look at my
        > photo of the yellow-legs? Is there an easy way to tell the Greaters
        > from the Lessers? Let me know if it's incorrectly labeled (or
        > anything else, for that matter!).
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Karen Webster
        > Parrot Education & Adoption Center
        > www.akpeac.org

      • Karen Webster
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2007
          Thank you, Bob! I do have Sibley's, but I'm not so good when it comes to
          matching birds with descriptions...I find I'm better with photos. Usually,
          between the Sibley's and my old Audubon book I can do pretty well, and when
          all else fails I go online to Cornell's Lab of Ornithology (Birds of North
          America Online). I was fairly certain the warbler was the Myrtle spp (thank
          you Sibley!), but the Yellowlegs, well, that was 50/50 guess for me. :-)

          --
          Karen Webster
          Managing Director, Anchorage