Trip report - Gull Rock (Hope, AK)

  • Antep9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007
      White Keys went north for pie, and I?went to Hope where the Discovery Cafe serves several?mighty fine pies:? coconut cream, rhubard, and some sort of pecan crusted chocolate thing.? Gull Rock (Hope, AK), within 2 hours of Anchorage,?was my hiking/camping/birding destination this weekend. It's a great place to work on birding by ear skills, especially Townsend's warblers.??I had plans to hike to higher elevation for WT ptarmigan (Palmer Creek Road)?but Sunday's?downpour never let up and I came on home.? It?was less birdy this year than last year,?and I didn't find a Warbling vireo as I did a year ago.? Here's what I saw/heard:??

      Bald eagle
      Spruce grouse with 6 newborn chicks
      Glaucous-winged gull
      Herring gull