Red-eyed Vireo

  • tgtljo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      While riding through the Connors Bog neighborhood Saturday, I heard a
      Red-eyed Vireo singing off and on just southwest of the intersection of
      Collins Way and 64th. It appeared to favor cottonwoods although we
      could never see the bird. I checked again this AM in the rain and
      heard nothing. This constitutes the third Anchorage record. I suggest
      using a tape to try and see the bird if it is still there.

      Thede Tobish
    • Carla Corin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        That's interesting! We just (2:15 Sunday) returned from a dog-walk along the
        Campbell Creek bike trail. Somewhere between Taku Lake (76th Ave.) and the
        railroad bridge, or maybe a bit past the railroad bridge (n. of Taku Lake),
        I heard a bird (a way off on the west side of the creek) that (to my
        originally east-coast ears) immediately brought red-eyed vireo to mind. I
        thought naah, it must be a lazy robin a ways off, and I didn't pay more
        attention. I'll check again.

        Carla Corin

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
          Well, another check of the Campbell Creek bike trail later this afternoon
          didn't turn up anything resembling a vireo. I'll keep checking throughout
          the week. It might have been my ears playing tricks. It just seemed like an
          interesting coincidence, since I hadn't seen Thede's message yet, and the
          two spots are probably less than 2 miles apart as the bird flies.