Need Birding spots

  • Betty and Ken
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
      We are visiting Alaska this July fwith our Motor Home, are Birders from
      Alberta and would like some information regarding Birding Hot Spots
      particularly around Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island and
      Fairbanks.
      We would like to take a trip on the Kenai Fjord and Prince William
      Sound. Any information re birding areas,activities and birding boating
      guides would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Betty and Ken
      On the Road
    • Chris Maack
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
        Here are some of the popular Anchorage birding hotspots: the Coastal
        Trail at Westchester Lagoon, Potter's Marsh (south end), Lakes Hood and
        Spenard, Hillside Park, Conner's Bog, Chester Creek Bike Trail,
        Campbell Tract, Arctic Valley. I also like the Elmendorf Hatchery Ponds
        and Goose Lake. Any water bodies are worth checking out. Renting a bike
        and heading off from downtown along the Coastal Trail will take you
        through good birding habitat at about the right speed.

        If you want a pelagic birding trip out of Seward, I've heard the
        smaller Kenai Fjords boat, the Mariah, caters to birders. Happy
        birding,

        Chris Maack
        Anchorage

        On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:29 PM, Betty and Ken wrote:

        > We are visiting Alaska this July fwith our Motor Home, are Birders from
        > Alberta and would like some information regarding Birding Hot Spots
        > particularly around Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island and
        > Fairbanks.
        > We would like to take a trip on the Kenai Fjord and Prince William
        > Sound. Any information re birding areas,activities and birding boating
        > guides would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks
        > Betty and Ken
        > On the Road

      • Dody Kettler
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
          We took the Renown charter out of Seward last weekend with a guy named Tom
          Osborne as the park's rep and he really enjoys birds and was so great to
          point out wonderful birds to me. He pointed out Brandts and that was a
          lifebird for me! It was so exciting. Anyway, it was the 6 hour Kenai Fjord
          (on the big boat) tour and they were just great with birders.
          Dody

          On 6/27/07, Chris Maack <cmaack@...> wrote:

          > Here are some of the popular Anchorage birding hotspots: the Coastal
          > Trail at Westchester Lagoon, Potter's Marsh (south end), Lakes Hood and
          > Spenard, Hillside Park, Conner's Bog, Chester Creek Bike Trail,
          > Campbell Tract, Arctic Valley. I also like the Elmendorf Hatchery Ponds
          > and Goose Lake. Any water bodies are worth checking out. Renting a bike
          > and heading off from downtown along the Coastal Trail will take you
          > through good birding habitat at about the right speed.
          >
          > If you want a pelagic birding trip out of Seward, I've heard the
          > smaller Kenai Fjords boat, the Mariah, caters to birders. Happy
          > birding,
          >
          > Chris Maack
          > Anchorage
          >
          > On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:29 PM, Betty and Ken wrote:
          >
          > > We are visiting Alaska this July fwith our Motor Home, are Birders from
          > > Alberta and would like some information regarding Birding Hot Spots
          > > particularly around Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island and
          > > Fairbanks.
          > > We would like to take a trip on the Kenai Fjord and Prince William
          > > Sound. Any information re birding areas,activities and birding boating
          > > guides would be greatly appreciated.
          > > Thanks
          > > Betty and Ken
          > > On the Road

          Dody
          http://kettleralaska.blogspot.com/
          Mini Unit on Egypt from Tapestry of Grace
          http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=egypt&AFFIL=TOGH9D0

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
            For good spots in Fairbanks and area, you should check the Arctic
            Audubon's website: http://www.arcticaudubon.org/birding.html

            Also stop in at the Alaska Bird Observatory's visitor center. You can get
            contact information at their website: http://www.alaskabird.org

            Creamer's Field refuge on College Road in Fairbanks is very active with
            birds. It has a number of nice walking trails and ponds. There is a
            Least Flycatcher there now as well. The flycatcher is calling in the
            birch forest along the Boreal Forest trail.

            Ken Russell
            Fairbanks

            Chris Maack <cmaack@...>
            Sent by: AKBirding@yahoogroups.com
            06/27/2007 07:16 AM
            Please respond to
            AKBirding@yahoogroups.com

            AKBirding@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject
            Re: [AK Birding] Need Birding spots

          • davidsonne@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
              I think the key to the Kenai Fjords boat tour is to take the longer tours which go out to the Chiswells. This is a spectacular trip.

              The Homer area is very birdy. ANother great pelagic trip is to go out on the Rainbow Connection whale watching trips. You usually get great views of humpback whales,?and also much better tubenoses than the boat out of Seward.. Frequently thousands of shearwaters (mmostly or all SOoty, and fewer numbers of Fork-tailed Petrels. If you're only going to do one?boat trip the Seward trip is incredible but they are both worth doing.?
              Dave Sonneborn

              For good spots in Fairbanks and area, you should check the Arctic
              Audubon's website: http://www.arcticaudubon.org/birding.html

              Also stop in at the Alaska Bird Observatory's visitor center. You can get
              contact information at their website: http://www.alaskabird.org

              Creamer's Field refuge on College Road in Fairbanks is very active with
              birds. It has a number of nice walking trails and ponds. There is a
              Least Flycatcher there now as well. The flycatcher is calling in the
              birch forest along the Boreal Forest trail.

              Ken Russell
              Fairbanks

              Chris Maack <cmaack@...>
              Sent by: AKBirding@yahoogroups.com
              06/27/2007 07:16 AM
              Please respond to
              AKBirding@yahoogroups.com

              AKBirding@yahoogroups.com
              cc

              Subject
              Re: [AK Birding] Need Birding spots

              Here are some of the popular Anchorage birding hotspots: the Coastal
              Trail at Westchester Lagoon, Potter's Marsh (south end), Lakes Hood and
              Spenard, Hillside Park, Conner's Bog, Chester Creek Bike Trail,
              Campbell Tract, Arctic Valley. I also like the Elmendorf Hatchery Ponds
              and Goose Lake. Any water bodies are worth checking out. Renting a bike
              and heading off from downtown along the Coastal Trail will take you
              through good birding habitat at about the right speed.

              If you want a pelagic birding trip out of Seward, I've heard the
              smaller Kenai Fjords boat, the Mariah, caters to birders. Happy
              birding,

              Chris Maack
              Anchorage

              On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:29 PM, Betty and Ken wrote:

              > We are visiting Alaska this July fwith our Motor Home, are Birders from
              > Alberta and would like some information regarding Birding Hot Spots
              > particularly around Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island and
              > Fairbanks.
              > We would like to take a trip on the Kenai Fjord and Prince William
              > Sound. Any information re birding areas,activities and birding boating
              > guides would be greatly appreciated.
              > Thanks
              > Betty and Ken
              > On the Road

            • Ken & Connie Tarbox
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                Out of Seward " Marlows on the Kenai" has a great trip. My wife and I did
                it a couple of weeks ago and it was super. They go after birds so they know
                all the hot spots and you get the whales and other stuff as well. Also, the
                boat carries 6 people and is designed with a wide bow and walkways so you
                are not pushed against the rail. It is a little more expensive but from my
                trip it is well worth the extra dollars. They go for birds. They have a web
                page just goggle Marlows on the Kenai.

              • davidsonne@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2007
                  Brandt's Cormorant probably is regular South of Ketchikan in winter in small numbers. I believe they were first found in the state nesting on a rock in the mouth of Prince William Sound 30 or so years ago and as far as I know that hasn't been checked recently. There is also on record from Gull Island off of?Homer 15+ years ago, so a record off of Seward is of great interest. Were the people on the boat seeing them regularly? Did you get a? photo?
                  Dave Sonneborn
                  Anchorage

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 29, 2007
                    I did not get a photo (there were about 6 of them), but the Parks guy seemed
                    in quite a hurry to get to see them and also got the book out and made
                    sure. There was another crew hand that knew immediately what they were and
                    already had the book turned to the right page for him. The crew hand didn't
                    seem surprised but Tom Osborne, the parks guy did. You could probably
                    contact him.
                    Dody