Great Grey Owl

  • Bob Gengler
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2007
      Hi Birders,

      I have heard of a Great Grey that has made a campground somewhere
      between Sutton and Glennallen it's home for the past few years.
      Unfortunately the person with this info did not remember the name of
      the campground. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this bird?
      Thanks in advance.

      Bob Gengler
      Eagle River, AK
      http://www.SummitTrailPhoto.com/
    • Bob Winckler
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2007
        Bob:
        The Great Grey has been at the Tolsona Wilderness Campground at MP
        173 of the Glenn Hwy. Their web site is <http://www.tolsona.com/
        map.htm> and a telephone call or email to them should be all that you
        need to find out if the owl is back at the nest.
        Cheers,
        Bob Winckler
        Wasilla
        -----------------------
        On May 3, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Bob Gengler wrote:

        Hi Birders,

        I have heard of a Great Grey that has made a campground somewhere
        between Sutton and Glennallen it's home for the past few years.
        Unfortunately the person with this info did not remember the name of
        the campground. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this bird?
        Thanks in advance.

        Bob Gengler
        Eagle River, AK
        http://www.SummitTrailPhoto.com/

      • dpopham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
          Sunday a small group of us stopped at Tolsona to see the owls.
          We were there mid day and saw one adult on the nest which looked like it was attending something in the nest. Graham reported that about 5 days earlier one chick was first observed. He said that was about 2 weeks later than usual.
        • George Moerlein
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2012
            About 9AM Wednesday at Clithrow Center, just before the locked gate going toward the inlet, a GREAT GREY OWL flew over my head and landed on a low limb about 25 feet away. On a mud flat in the inlet were 25 or so SNOW GEESE.