Locations for Black-backed Woodpeckers in southcentral Alaska?

  • prentki
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 9:53 AM
      An out-of-state birder has asked me for recommendations as to best places to
      look for black-backed woodpeckers. She is currently in St. Paul, and will
      be birding the Anchorage area and Kenai afterwards, next week. If you have
      any suggestions, please post to this list.

      Thanks,

      Dick Prentki

      prentki@...

    • gowildbirding
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
        Dick, While I don't know the current situation, in past years, Black-
        backs were regularly observed near the entrance gate at the Glenn
        Alps parking lot (on the hillside of Anchorage). I don't know anyone
        who has checked out the area lately, so cannot direct you to any
        recent sightings. John Wenger