Re: [AK Birding] Seward Birds

  • Chris Maack
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
      Thanks, Bob. My group did miss those birds but I should have remembered
      they'd been seen. That brings the tally to 31 for the day.

      Chris Maack
      Anchorage

    • todd_eskelin
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
        I was so glad to see so many people have been able to make the trip
        down to see the two rarities currently hanging out in Kenai. I
        enjoyed meeting some new folks and spending a nice afternoon
        birdwatching with them.

        I also want to reiterate that Toby Burke is the master finder. We
        work really well together as he finds all of these wonderful birds and
        then I follow up with good documentation. Toby is responsible for the
        McKays last winter, the Ivory around xmas time and now and Iceland.
        Well done Toby, keep it up. I only need 3 more species for my 200th
        on the Kenai Peninsula.

        Todd Eskelin
      • Prentki
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
          The Slaty-backed gull was with the further of two groups of sleeping gulls
          at 10 AM Sunday (scoping range), but no Iceland Gull at that time. I came
          back at 11:15 AM and the gulls were feeding rather than sleeping with both
          Slaty-backed Gull and Iceland Gull giving good looks on the ice just off the
          plant. I can now take my Todd Eskelin's gull-photo bookmark out of my copy
          of Olsen and Larsson. A tight flock of about 800 rock sandpipers were
          feeding close to shore on the mudflats accessible across the dunes outside
          the gates of Cook Inlet Processing (Kasilof Beach Road, p. 51 of West's
          Kenai Peninsula Book) about 12:30 PM.

          Dick Prentki
          Anchorage
          prentki@...
        • bonzeriffic
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 19, 2007
            Does anyone know if the Thayers/Icelandic gull is still hanging out at
            the Salamantof dock area? I am going through on wed., Feb 21 and will
            detour to look for it if it is still there. Also Ken Tarbox, is your
            offer still available?
            Thanks, Gary Lyon
          • Antep9@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2007
              Several of us (George Matz, Ken Tarbox, Toby Burke and his birder-children Grace and Ed, and Sewardians Peregrine Joe and Robin) failed to observe Kenai's Iceland and Slaty-backed gulls today (from 9:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) In fact, we saw very few gulls at Salamatof and even checked the dump and the mouth of the Kasilof River where there were no gulls found. Perhaps the fact that the plant has not been processing fish these past couple of days had something to do with the dearth of gulls. Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous day in Kenai with lots of sun, no wind and stupendous mountains across the way. As Joe said, " A bad day of birding is better than a good day at work."

              A big thanks to Ken Tarbox who guided George and me to the dock and then to the dump. And, he took me to scads of Rock Sandpipers at Kasilof, my 189 species. Many thanks as well to Toby, Grace and Ed for being such welcoming Kenai birders. Now I can put faces to names I see on this listserv.

              Georgia Conti
              Anchorage

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                Toby Burke was out today (Friday) and spotted some new additions to
                the Slaty-backed and adult Glaucous that are present at the mouth of
                the Kenai River. Today there as a first winter Glaucous along with
                the adult as well as an almost adult ICELAND GULL. The bird was very
                clean and looked to be an adult, but still had a dark tip on the bill
                and the eye was lighter, but not completely yellow. Not bad, six gull
                day with Glaucous-winged, Herring, and Mew rounding it out.
              • todd_eskelin
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
                  We had a report of a possible WESTERN GULL at the Kenai Flats on the afternoon of September 1st. Toby Burke and I looked for the gull among the groups of gulls near the canneries on the morning of the 2nd. We had one dark mantled gull fly by, but couldn't get a definitive look until it was passed and headed down to the mouth. It was definitely dark, but not as dark as the Slaty-backed that has been hanging out for years. It landed with a large flock of gulls by the channel marker near the mouth so we went down there to search for it. No luck, but we did find a KAMCHATKA MEW GULL hanging out with other mews. Attempts to photgraph it were hampered by the lighting. but we will continue to try. This is one of the only records I have heard of from the Kenai Peninsula. Gull numbers have decreased so there are only a few thousand to sift through now. Also, let me know if you know of other Kamchatka sightings from the Kenai.

                  Todd Eskelin