Bohemian Waxwing roost

  • jloonatic
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2007
      Late in the afternoon on Thursday, I was skiing across Connors Bog.
      The sky was beautiful with the sun setting in the west and the full
      moon rising in the east. Around 5 pm, just before sunset, I noticed a
      flock of about 50 Bohemian Waxwings gathered in the tops of a couple of
      cottonwood trees. I watched many of them fly into a clump of nearby
      Black Spruce trees, to roost for the night, I presume. After they dove
      into the trees, they were so well-hidden that I could not see them from
      a distance. I'll return another evening to see if they use the same
      trees.

      Jean Tam
      Anchorage
    • Gary Bullock
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2007
        Jean,
        I've seent he same behavior in common redpolls on the hillside. A
        whole flock will funnel into a white spruce,(always a dense spruce,
        but sometimes not a very large one) become instantly silent,
        and "dissapear" for the night.
        Gary Bullock
        Downey Finch Drive
        Anchorage