Re: chestnut-backed chickadee

  • ditthead
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      We had two chestnut-backed chickadees at our Eagle River feeders in
      winter a couple years ago. We live up the South Fork of Eagle River
      up Hiland Road. Not too far away.

      Bob Dittrick

      --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Coghill" <photoalaska@...>
      wrote:

      > On Sunday about 2pm I saw what I'm pretty certain is a chestnut-
      backed
      > chickadee on the lower Dew Mound trail up at the Eagle River Nature
      > Center.
      >
      > I've never seen one before and I'm wondering if anyone else has
      seen
      > them in that area?

    • Julie Coghill
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thanks, Bob, that's good to know.

        Wednesday, down by Cooper Landing, I got some most excellent looks at
        boreal chickadees, and that confirmed for me that what I saw Sunday was
        not a boreal chickadee.

        On Sunday at first I assumed I was looking at a boreal chickadee, but
        then I realized that this chickadee was not acting like a boreal, and
        then I noticed also that it was making a different sound and finally it
        dawned on me that it also looked quite different.