Beak Deformities - ongoing study, new contact and online reporting

  • Karla Hart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2007
      fyi - work on beak deformities is continuing with a fresh round of press
      releases and request for information from Caroline Van Hemert of the USGS
      Alaska Science Center. I've copied the Empire version below.

      Please visit
      http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity/ or contact
      the USGS with reports or for more information. I'm simply sharing this
      information with birders as I get several calls each year. Karla

      Report a sighting

      Note this information:

      . Species and number of deformed birds

      . Date of observation

      . Location of observation

      . Description of deformity

      . Habitat where bird was observed

      . Behavior

      . Flock composition

      . Photos, if possible

      Submit at: alaska.usgs.gov/
      <http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity/observerrep
      ort.html> science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity/observerreport.html or
      call 786-3981.

      JUNEAU EMPIRE

      Biologists ask public to help with deformed bird study
      Researchers look for cause of misshapen beaks

      By BRITTANY RETHERFORD
      JUNEAU EMPIRE

      If you spot a bird with a beak that looks like it came from a novelty shop,
      it's no laughing matter. Experts trying to figure out the problem hope
      you'll take the time to report it.

      Biologists are asking people to help with information on the cause of beak
      deformities in nearly 30 bird species from Alaska to Washington state.

      The deformity often appears as an oversized upper beak, making it more
      difficult for the birds to eat and preen themselves, said wildlife biologist
      Caroline Van Hemert at the U.S. Geological Survey Alaska Science Center.

      The problem can be particularly life-threatening during wintertime cold
      spells.

      While the cause is unknown, Van Hemert said initial studies point to
      environmental contaminants.

      It's not the first time Alaskans have been asked to help. The study began in
      1999, but the mystery remains.

      "A lot of people think it is a problem that has come and gone," Van Hemert
      said. "We are still really interested."

      Since the project was launched by center wildlife biologist Colleen Handel,
      roughly 1,500 black-capped chickadees have been reported, most of them in
      Southcentral Alaska - and many of them by citizens.

      The numbers indicate that about 10 percent of the chickadee population is
      affected, making it the highest concentration of deformities ever observed
      in a wild bird population, Van Hemert said.

      Deformities are typically seen in birds at a rate of less than one half of
      one percent.

      Similar beak abnormalities have also been noticed in northwestern crows - a
      species more common to Southeast Alaska.

      "We have received more than 150 reports accounting for approximately 60
      individuals in Alaska and at least 20 additional birds throughout the rest
      of the Pacific Northwest," Van Hemert said.

      Roughly one-third of the Alaska sightings have been in the Juneau-Douglas
      area. Among other affected species are downy woodpeckers, Steller's jays,
      and black-billed magpies.

      After the chickadees, crows are most commonly seen with the deformity. It
      still appears rare, however.

      "There have been a few birds seen. I know some northwestern crows and some
      ravens. I've seen one raven, I believe," said Mark Schwan, vice president of
      the Juneau Audubon Society. He sees the abnormalities themselves as just
      part of the puzzle.

      "I think what concerns me more is that it seems like a fairly widespread
      problem. It makes you wonder what is going on," he said.

      The previous public outreach campaign with chickadees was successful, and
      Van Heimert hopes a new crow study also will yield good data when it begins
      this spring.

      Biologists also plan to survey remote areas to see whether the condition has
      a human connection.

      Van Hemert said that since chickadees and crows have such a different diet
      and other characteristics, the problem may stem from both terrestrial and
      marine systems where they get their food.

      The deformity is primarily seen only in adults, Van Hemert said. The
      youngest deformed chickadee on record was six months old.

      "It is not clear if there is underlying susceptibility or external factor,
      or if it just something they just grow into," Van Hemert said. "We are
      looking more into environmental contaminants and possibilities of disease.
      Genetics don't seem to be a likely cause."

      In some birds, center biologists have discovered low levels of
      polychlorinated biphenyls or PCBs, industrial toxins banned in 1977 but
      still found in the environment.

      "They come from byproducts of transformers, and in the electronics industry
      they are used. They are nothing that would be produced locally," Van Hemert
      said.

      Research on the northwestern crows is funded primarily by the U.S.
      Geological Survey. Previous funding for the chickadee research also came
      from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.