Re: [AK Birding] Digest Number 491

  • Beth Peluso
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2007
      Thanks for your note Nancy, I didn't know fall
      Savannah's' lost their yellow (and I'm definitely no
      sparrow expert!). Learn something new every day!

      Beth Peluso, Juneau

      Re: sparrow Posted
      by: "Nancy DeWitt"
      arct1c_warbler Wed
      Jan 10, 2007 11:13 pm (PST)

      I have to agree with Chris Maack that your sparrow is
      a Savannah. I've banded hundreds of
      Savannahs and Lincoln's Sparrows, and your photo just
      screamed Savannah at me when I
      first saw it. It lacks the buffy wash and darker
      auriculars of a Lincoln's, has a pale throat,
      and the big feet and large bill of a Savannah.
      Juvenile and many fall Savannahs lack yellow

      I could be wrong since my observations are based
      primarily on interior Alaska birds, but it
      sure has the jizz of a Savannah to me.

      Nancy DeWitt

      --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, Beth Peluso
      <bpeluso@...> wrote:
      > Nice photos Marguerite!
      > I think the unnamed sparrow is a Lincoln's--it has
      > buffy stripes on its face and very crisp streaks on
      > its chest, like someone wrote them with a
      > pen. I can't quite tell from the lighting if it has
      > buffy wash across the chest, but I think it might.
      > you remember what kind of habitat it was in?
      > tend to like boggy or brushy areas. Savannah
      > have a much brighter yellow on their face, like
      > someone colored them with a highlighter, and I've
      > them more in edge or open habitat.
      > If you want a good resource in addition to books, I
      > highly recommend "Birds of North America
      > only $40 or so per year to subscribe, and has full
      > species accounts, usally including descriptions on
      > variations, photos, and sound and video clips for
      > pretty much everything in N. America.
      > http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/
      > Here's BNA's little clip describing Lincoln's
      > Small sparrow, sexually monomorphic in plumage.
      > Usually solitary, highly secretive in behavior. Most
      > easily distinguished from other sparrows by its
      > wrenlike song. Plumage grayish brown with fine black
      > streaks and rusty edges on wings and tail; face and
      > side of necks more uniformly gray than in similar
      > sparrows; narrow buffy eye-ring. Broad, buffy chest
      > band with fine, black streaking continuing down the
      > flanks, contrasting with white belly, distinguishes
      > Lincoln's Sparrow from all other adult sparrows.
      > streaking sometimes converges into central chest
      > as in Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia). Total length
      > 13.5–15.3 cm, wing formula P9 > P4.
      > Beth Peluso, Juneau
      protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      Back to top
      Reply to sender
      | Reply to group
      Messages in this topic

      New Photos

      Visit Your Group

      Birding binoculars
      Birding binoculars
      Birding tour

      Yahoo! TV

      The Intern Contest

      You could work for

      the next Apprentice.

      Y! GeoCities

      Create a Blog

      And tell the world

      what you think.

      Start a group

      in 3 easy steps.

      Connect with others.

      Need to Reply?

      Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a
      specific message in the Daily Digest.

      Create New Topic | Visit
      Your Group on the Web
      Messages | Files |
      Photos | Links | Database
      | Calendar
      Remember -- Be nice!

      Change settings via email: Switch delivery to
      Individual | Switch format to Traditional
      Visit Your Group | Yahoo!
      Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe