preliminary look at some interesting long-term data

  • Matt Goff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      (Apologies for the cross-post to the two birding lists, but I thought this
      might be interesting to at least some people from different parts of the
      state.)

      Some you may know long-time Sitka birders (and even longer-time residents)
      Marge Ward and Marlys Tedin. They have been making notes of daily
      sightings since 1980. Back in 2000 a project was started to transfer
      their records to an electronic format. Their data from 1981-1999 was put
      into a large spreadsheet, but I am not sure what, if anything, was done
      with it after that. I recently received a copy of the spreadsheet and
      have spent a few days working with the information. I find the
      information contained in this long-term data fascinating, even though it
      primarily only records presence/absence of a species (or more accurately,
      observed/not-observed).

      In any case, I thought other people might be as interested as I was in
      seeing some graphical summaries of the data. Maybe it will inspire folks
      to start keeping some simple records of their own over the long term.

      A more detailed explanation of the data and the summary graphics with
      three examples and a link to more figures can be seen here:
      http://www.sitkanature.org/wordpress/2007/01/04/a-preliminary-look-at-marge-and-tedins-data/

      If you just want to see the figures (without my wordy introduction and
      explanation), you can find links to the figures summarizing data for
      100+ of the more commonly observed Sitka birds here:
      http://www.sitkanature.org/birds/figures_temp/

      Matt Goff
      Sitka