Re: [AK Birding] Chickadee with deformed beak

  • Chris Maack
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Colleen Handel at USGS is still interested in deformed bill sightings
      (any species). They are now seeing them in NW Crows.

      I think her number is still 786-3418.

      Chris Maack
      Anchorage

      On Dec 3, 2006, at 2:23 PM, twisted_birch wrote:

      > I have a black cap chickadee frequenting my dish feeder in the backyard
      > that has an upper beak that is curved and about 3 x the length of its
      > head and the lower beak is about the length of the head. The bird eats
      > by placing its head sideways to the dish. I am not sure if anyone is
      > tracking what I think is deformation but did want to let someone know
      > in case there is interest.
      >
      > I am near 88th and Northwood.

    • twisted_birch

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
          I have had a chickadee with a deformed bill for 2 years now. It does pretty well slicing open sunflower seeds and eating at the suet. And yes, I believe that this is the number I called to talk to Colleen. If you have pictures, she's love them. And you can also contact the Cornell University Lab of Ornithology. They are keeping track of deformities and diseases, also.

          Laura Kluge
          Klatt and Puma (Klatt Elementary) area of Anchorage