redpolls

  • anchorageparks
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
      Spotted a few redpolls around the feeder. Have not seen them in
      awhile.
    • amandashenry
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
        Twice in the last week I have had a small group of redpolls (5-10
        birds) at my feeder at 12th & Denali. I also saw a smaller group of
        repolls on M St north of 15th on Sunday.

        Amanda

        --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "anchorageparks"
        <anchorageparks@...> wrote:

        > Spotted a few redpolls around the feeder. Have not seen them in
        > awhile.

      • Beth Peluso
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2007
          I've had the pleasure of watching a very large flock
          of redpolls at my apartment in Douglas (by Lawson
          Creek for the Juneau-ites). At times there have been
          almost 60 birds! I've been trying to find a hoary
          redpoll among them, but so far no luck. I did get to
          watch one take a snow bath--he'd carve a little off
          the side of the hollow he was in and then roll in it,
          flicking it over his back with his wings. Looked cold
          to me, but he seemed to enjoy it. The whole flock has
          been here all day for the past two days.

          Also had a slate-colored junco and a song sparrow (not
          a usual visitor to my balcony) joining in the fun.

          Beth Peluso
          Juneau

          Be a PS3 game guru.
        • Tim Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
            Has anyone else noticed an unusually large number or redpolls this year? I have as many as 100 in my yard at a time at the Butte near Palmer. Went through 40 pounds of sunflower seeds in a week.
          • Pamela Eldridge
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
              Yes! I'm in the south end of Anchorage. We started out with about 20 birds, now it's a mob scene at the front and back yard feeders several times a day and ran through two 10 lb bags quickly.

              My husband couldn't find plain sunflower seeds at two stores in town and ended up buying a mix of millet, cracked corn, peanuts and sunflower seeds. Corn and millet are scattered everywhere. Don't understand why stores here carry mixes like this. Is millet good for anything? Am I missing something? I've always wondered.

              Pam Eldridge
              south Anchorage

              Has anyone else noticed an unusually large number or redpolls this year? I have as many as 100 in my yard at a time at the Butte near Palmer. Went through 40 pounds of sunflower seeds in a week.

            • Aleta Pillick
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
                I couldn't agree more. There are winters I've hardly seen one redpoll at the feeder all winter, and right now I have at least 20 flitting around my 3 feeders. They far outnumber the nuthatches and Black Capped Chickadees, my normal staple for the winter.

                Aleta

                On Feb 2, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Pamela Eldridge <pam@...> wrote:

                > Yes! I'm in the south end of Anchorage. We started out with about 20 birds, now it's a mob scene at the front and back yard feeders several times a day and ran through two 10 lb bags quickly.
                >
                > My husband couldn't find plain sunflower seeds at two stores in town and ended up buying a mix of millet, cracked corn, peanuts and sunflower seeds. Corn and millet are scattered everywhere. Don't understand why stores here carry mixes like this. Is millet good for anything? Am I missing something? I've always wondered.
                >
                > Pam Eldridge
                > south Anchorage

              • John Wenger
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Last week, while driving north on Minnesota near Tudor in Anchorage, a large
                  flock of redpolls flew over. While I know they are more common in town this
                  year, this flock was unusually large.I am guessing about 200 birds. So,
                  there may be more in town than one thinks. John Wenger Anchorage

                • echecsinalaska
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                    In the few years that I've been monitoring the birds in my area, both at my feeders
                    and in the woods in my area, I've noticed a huge fluctuation in the bird
                    populations. A few years ago the redpolls would come in huge flocks, often with
                    pine siskins. Last year I had very few of either. I also had very few Hairy
                    Woodpeckers, while they came far more frequently in years past.

                    However, I am getting redpolls very early this year. They are already showing up
                    at my feeders now. In previous years I wouldn't see them until March or later.

                    This year also seems to be my year for grosbeaks. They are coming far more
                    frequently and in larger numbers. I'm also getting more males than I had
                    previously.

                    Dorey Harman
                    Nikiski
                  • echecsinalaska
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
                      The redpolls here in Nikiski seem to be increasing in numbers.

                      Plus I'm still getting lots of chickadees (black capped and boreal) and nuthatches.

                      Not as many Grosbeaks and gray jays, but I'm sure they will come back soon.

                      Dorey Harman
                      Nikiski, AK