Alaska Rare Bird Survey

  • alaskabirder
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30 1:13 PM
      Greetings Alaskan Birders,
      As co-moderator for the Alaska Rare Bird Listserv I recieve many
      inquaries about the best locations and time of the year to find
      "target species" of birds here in Alaska. In an attempt to assit these
      folks and others, I am interested in compiling information about where
      and when people have observed selected species in Alaska. The requests
      we get closely alight with those species which are listed as either
      Rare, Casual or Accidental in the Checklist of Alaska Birds produced
      by the University of Alaska's Museum of the North. To find out which
      species are listed as Rare, Casual, Accidental or are not
      substantiated for Alaska go to:
      www.uaf.edu/museum/bird/products/checklist.pdf This list is updated
      anually and is the most up to date forum of the birds which have been
      documented as occuring in Alaska.
      What I am proposing to do is to crewate a database with the species,
      location, date(s) and observers as to where these "species worth
      traveling for" have been seen in Alaska. After a period of time and I
      recieve enough responces to make the survey significant, I will post
      the outcome of the survey on AKBirding. This will hopefully assit all
      of us in our Alaskan Avian Quest.
      I look forward to your responce. Please reply to my e-mail off post
      Ed Clark
      Alaska Rare Bird Listserv
      akbirder AT eagle.ptialaska.net
    • Karla Hart
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30 7:08 PM
        For those who haven't explored eBird yet, or haven't been there for a while,
        I encourage you to check it out and enter your birding data. If enough
        birders entered data, I think that it would serve the purpose that Ed is
        working on (a valiant effort and great service) but in a constantly updated
        form.

        www.ebird.org

        If you go into the view and explore data and select you'll see you can
        select species, area, date range, years, . It is fun. The more data that is
        there, the better it will be for birders and scientific research.

        You can set up a free account and keep your birding records online - and
        explore your own data in many ways as well. And, if you are looking for
        something to do on long winter nights, you can enter your old data too.

        Karla

        ________

        Karla Hart, Watchable Wildlife Program Coordinator

        Division of Wildlife Conservation

        Alaska Department of Fish and Game

        1255 West 8th Street

        NOTE new mailing address: PO Box 115526

        Juneau, Alaska 99811-5526

        907-465-5157 phone

        907-465-6142 fax

        karla_hart@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30 10:05 PM
          Ed

          I support your effort. It isn't clear what you want a response to.

          George Matz
          Fritz Creek (Homer)

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
            Hi Karla,
            I'm Bob Trotter, a physician assistant who has been
            out at Shemya every other month for the last year and
            half. I didn't respond to the Ak Birding group because
            I didn't want to slam ebird in front of everyone. I
            was very excited when I started entering data on ebird
            in spring 05. I actually entered 90 species I saw at
            Shemya that year. They have a very nice format and
            program for using your own data. What was
            dissapointing was trying to find where rare birds are
            being sited in Alaska. Very limited data and I noticed
            that data I was entering was not showing up for the
            western aleutians. I emailed ebird and they said they
            had problems because I was located west of 180 degrees
            longitude and that meant I wasn't in N america. That
            was over a year ago. I entered data from several
            comprehensive island surveys I did during winter of
            05-06. None of this even shows up for western
            aleutians. I quit entering data after april of this
            year. I believe there is interesting bird activity
            from here, like the 17 mostly immature tufted ducks on
            one pond last week, but if ebird can't or wont post
            the data, why enter it.
            Possibly, I just don't know how to access the data.
            Would you see if you can pull up 90 species for Shemya
            in 2005 and anything for 2006. If you can, I would
            sure like to know how.
            Please give me your thoughts,
            Bob Trotter
            Shemya, Alaska